News

Added a ShareThis button for all you dying to share the awesomeness.

If you're looking for an awesome song you haven't heard before you are in the right place. This site represents a playlist systematically designed to maximize AWESOMENESS by meeting the following critera:

• It's AWESOME.
  • It's fairly obscure. This is obviously a subjective standard, but I don't want songs that everyone's heard no matter how awesome.
  • You can listen to it right now online for free.

Recent comments

• Fanatic Heart   11 years 15 weeks ago

Missed a bit of Craig over the past few weeks. I have been catching up though. Saw him last night with Isabella Rossellini and the comedy was brilliant. Steven Wright made a cameo AGAIN and it was quite funny.

If he comes to your neck of the woods, see him. Comedy prevails.

A friend gave us tickets to see Denis Leary tomorrow night at Radio City. He's having a band and the Rehab horns will be blowing the roof off the sucka.

I will provide a full report whether you like it or not.

; = )

• Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head   11 years 16 weeks ago

Early TMBG was just sublime. I still enjoy them, but they largely seem like a band trying to sound like TMBG, whereas in the early days they just did amazing stuff 'cause it was easy to be weird. P.S. Glad to see you haven't deserted!

• Detroit Rock City   11 years 16 weeks ago

You know every once in a while Simmons makes me ashamed to be such a huge Kiss fan, but you just can't overcome the music. Great story about Paul. They seem like a really strange dynamic. I have a hard time visualizing Paul and Gene hanging out. FYI I'm not entirely sure I didn't have a KISS lunchbox at some point growing up.

• Fanatic Heart   11 years 16 weeks ago

I was watching Ferguson's standup this week. Was wondering if you had checked it out.

• Countin' on a Miracle   11 years 16 weeks ago

"Magic" is another masterpiece. A real gem.

"Working on a Dream" does not blow my skirt up. The title track is great, so is "Life itself" and "The Last Carnival" are tremendous, but the album as a whole isn't as strong as "Magic."

There's my two cents worth.

Keep on keepin on!

• Countin' on a Miracle   11 years 16 weeks ago

I forgive you for ABBA. Now, let's get down to business.

Here's another version of "Countin on a Miracle" done only as da Boss can...he takes his own tunes, revitalizes them while keeping them timeless and not taking away from the strength of the original...haunting version done for the "Devils and Dust" tour:

• Detroit Rock City   11 years 16 weeks ago

Ya know, laugh at them, be digusted by Gene "I will sell anything to keep my name in the news" Simmons, but KISS is just one of those bands that kicked ass.

I was in Macy's/Time Square one day in the late eighties and I'm at the men's tie counter. I look up, and who's standing there looking at silk ties but Paul Stanley. He was back in the New York Groove, I guess.

Jump twenty years later, he's a painter hawking his stuff at a gallery in the upscale Short Hills Mall near my home. My cousin Wayne, a huge KISS fan, died in Tower 1 at the World Trade Center. My aunt and his sister went to that gallery to meet Stanley and tell him about Wayne. Stanley was all class. Spent alot of time with them, took a mess of pics. Lovely man.

• Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head   11 years 16 weeks ago

These guys always crack me up!

• Fanatic Heart   11 years 16 weeks ago

Black 47. Very nice.

Sir Awesome, I trust you're very astute and noted the Black 47 link on the Willie Nile page I sent you a while back.

AND, as it regards the Dropkick Murphys (who I really dig, you will note that they performed on Ferguson's show about a week ago.

That is all.

• Countin' on a Miracle   11 years 16 weeks ago

haha You read between the lines and came up with your own interpretation... I like that!

• Countin' on a Miracle   11 years 16 weeks ago

What I took from that response:

You love ABBA, particularly Eagle. Good, good!

• Fanatic Heart   11 years 16 weeks ago

I actually was going to do a Dropkick Murphys song (a recent one no less) but I was so pleased to find this song on Youtube I couldn't resist. Besides I can't do the Pogues for everything, or can I?

• Fanatic Heart   11 years 17 weeks ago

*shakes head*
    I don't think you did the deed for St Patricks day...
    The Pogues, The Saw Doctors, Dropkick Murphy's, Christy Moore, The Divine Comedy, Enya, U2, Van the (grumpy) man.... I would have accepted Flogging Molly too....
    I think you should be given an extension to St Patricks Day to have another go...
    See? I come back after a long stay away and all I do is complain!

• Countin' on a Miracle   11 years 17 weeks ago

Yeah but did you sing the 'ahaaaaa' bit in tune? I bet you did!
    Yes I can relate. Work and commitment so get in the way at times!
    I think from the beginning of February to now I've managed about 6 blog entries! That is not like me at all!
    I do love one ABBA song... just the one though... Eagle... now I can almost forget that it's by ABBA. :o)
    Take it easy young Cusack and don't get buried too deeply!

• Sick Bed of Cuchulainn   11 years 17 weeks ago

I would never have even remembered the "holiday" was upon us if you hadn't reminded me. I may have to put some special effort in to find something at least semi-appropriate.

• Countin' on a Miracle   11 years 17 weeks ago

I can't say much about anyone's attendance as I've been buried under work. I will however have to pretend I didn't hear you say anything negative about ABBA.

• Countin' on a Miracle   11 years 17 weeks ago

I love this! Love it to bits.
    What? Did you think I had ran off with a rich old man?
    No... sadly not... still here. (with me poor old man)
    I am listening to Magic at the moment which I do love.
    (Glad I missed ABBA.... ahaaaaaa)

• Sick Bed of Cuchulainn   11 years 17 weeks ago

You played this before St. Pat's day....now, what are you gonna play on the actual "holiday"?

I feel confident you'll find a song or two in this genre that will further celebrate the "let's get ready to stumble" activities we so look forward to (NOT!) on that day!

• Attitude   11 years 17 weeks ago

Great item!

Lyrics sum up what we'd like to say but cannot during many situations.

• Radio Free Europe   11 years 17 weeks ago

...not even close.

You're still ok, Cus.

• Rock Me Gently   11 years 17 weeks ago

Never saw this video...great drag queen...did you check out the fake nail tips in the beginning?

The things we do for beauty.

• Radio Free Europe   11 years 17 weeks ago

Does that make up for my implication that you enjoy Good Morning America?

• Radio Free Europe   11 years 18 weeks ago

My fav R.E.M. tune. And I dig that you can barely understand Stipes' lyric delivery. It's key to the whole R.E. M. experience.

Good call, Cusack.

• Galileo   11 years 18 weeks ago

Good Indigo Dykes tune. Harmonies are tremendous.

• I Will Follow   11 years 18 weeks ago

...as in "bite me".

I DO NOT watch ANY morning happy news programs, PERIOD. I don't watch OPRAH, either! I am not one of those flock of hen women who stand around and talk all morning after taking the kids to school and go watch Regis and Kelly or whoever the hell.

As it regards Ferguson, I mentioned earlier that when there is talent on, I watch it. Ferguson is funny as balls, has no sidekick or a band. He's pure comedy on his own.

As it regards your observations about the Poet Laureate of New Jersey and the Belfast Boys, well, I agree with you except I would add two more to the list of longevity-type rockers who still inspire: Tom Petty and Elvis Costello.

I will forgive you for your comments upon receipt of a proper apology.

Now, go assume the position with your Rick Springfield poster and hold it with one hand.

; = )