News

Added a ShareThis button for all you dying to share the awesomeness.

If you're looking for an awesome song you haven't heard before you are in the right place. This site represents a playlist systematically designed to maximize AWESOMENESS by meeting the following critera:

• It's AWESOME.
  • It's fairly obscure. This is obviously a subjective standard, but I don't want songs that everyone's heard no matter how awesome.
  • You can listen to it right now online for free.

Recent comments

• Mother   11 years 23 weeks ago

Glad you enjoyed them.

I lost it when Waitts says, "I performed a tracheotomy with a ballpoint pen...it was a medical morning..."

And Iggy's facial expressions are everything!

• Sweet Soul Sister   11 years 23 weeks ago

...so the Doors "re-united" in 2007 with Ian Astbury handling the lead vocals. Dat's some shoes to fill!

If interested, there are a few vids of live stuff from Amsterdam on youtube.

• Love Will Tear Us Apart   11 years 23 weeks ago

Many artists including Smith of The Cure and Bono have indicated that this band started it all for them.

"Agnst" ain't got nothin' on Ian Curtis. He invented it. Too bad he left this world too early. RIP.

The 2007 movie "Control" may be of interest.

• Mother   11 years 24 weeks ago

I always thought the Cult was the much better comparison than Danzig. Danzig kind of sounds like him, Ian Astbury had the imagery and everything. Great links by the way!

• Mother   11 years 24 weeks ago

There's some Iggy Pop in there, too.

Stop me before I sub-reference again, but check this unlikely pair:

• Mother   11 years 24 weeks ago

Jim Morrison would be proud.

I always thought there were similarities with Danzig and these guys...maybe it's me, but I think the vocals and the power behind them are very much alike:

Another favorite:

• Human Touch   11 years 25 weeks ago

Just read a review of "Working on a Dream". The reviewer compares Mr. Springsteen's latest disc, which will be released next week, to the Beatles "White Album". Interesting. Also, there's a nice tribute to Danny Federici; his son plays accordian on one of the tracks.

• Human Touch   11 years 25 weeks ago

Well played.

• Existentialism On Prom Night   11 years 25 weeks ago

It WAS a hit, wasn't it? What universe was I in?

• Human Touch   11 years 25 weeks ago

Now I love Rick Springfield as much as the next guy...but he's not in Bruce's category...

• For America   11 years 25 weeks ago

Little Steven really put this song on the map, no question about it. His version kicks over all others.

• Human Touch   11 years 25 weeks ago

...sounds more like an episode of Mystery Science Fiction Theater 3000!!!

Another tune with the same title, dead sexy, too:

• Inside the Electric Circus   11 years 25 weeks ago

You're correct when saying that ACDC is harder to classify. I call them a metal band with a groove. The shows are comprised of the "hit" but every tune has that undeniable groove, so no matter what they play, it's gonna sound hit-like, ya know? Tremendous sound, though.

• Inside the Electric Circus   11 years 25 weeks ago

@Daffy: Anything we can do to make the comment process less problematic for you? On a brighter note, all those bands RULE. Well...Whitesnake doesn't rule, but they're okay. The rest RULE. (Van Halen has subsequently been tarnished by exposing how lame they are personally, but they still have some great songs.) Did you catch the Pogues latest appearance? Was curious on your thoughts on "Waiting For Herb."

@RoughJustice: AC/DC is always a hard band to classify for me. I really think of them as more of hard-rock, though everyone will disagree I think. I've seen them live and they do a GREAT show, although their sets were a bit short when I saw them. Metallica was a fantastic live experience back when they had souls. We were at the front row of an Iron Maiden show, where Anthrax opened for them. That ruled!

• Inside the Electric Circus   11 years 25 weeks ago

Ok, while I was never a true headbanger, I have seen ACDC, Godsmack and Metallica...the latter two for the sociological experience...but then again, I'll see any band/artist for the experience if I don't have to pay for tickets.

With that aside, I must say that when I was pregnant with my first child in the 90's, I did see ACDC and the baby came out fine. Also, up until that point in time, it was the loudest show I'd ever seen. "Wall of Sound" took on a new meaning. That is, it was so loud (how loud was it?) that when the band stopped playing, one was physically pushed back. The loudness of the tunes sucked you in and made you lean into the sound. Once it was no longer there, the body would bounced back to it's original upright position.

Then comes my experience with Godsmack and Metallica. Godsmack opened for the Masters of Puppet people. This show surpassed the collective loudness I experienced with the three ACDC shows I've seen.

My second child came out fine, too

• Inside the Electric Circus   11 years 25 weeks ago

Hi, I tried to leave a comment last night on yesterdays song but couldn't.. never mind.
    You may be interested to know, that back in the day, when I was a young heavy metal enthusiast, stinking of oils and with patchwork denim.
    We would do a concert a week and I saw Rush a couple of times, I saw Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Scorpians, ACDC, Judas Priest, Twisted Sister, Whitesnke and Van Halen. Good times!

• Lose Your Love   11 years 26 weeks ago

See that stuff he's takin' out of the dryer? I been lookin for those socks for years!

• Wonderful Life   11 years 26 weeks ago

I didn't even know he was still making music. Any tracks you recommend in particular?

• Wonderful Life   11 years 26 weeks ago

Oh boy! Well beat me with a big stick for missing this one!
    Well here is a little something to make it up to you!

• Georgia Rain   11 years 26 weeks ago

To his credit, this guy ain't writing for Disney.

• Georgia Rain   11 years 26 weeks ago

Nice...but I think I heard this before...about a thousand times before when ELTON JOHN did it on every one of his albums...same progressions, same key changes...hey, it worked for Elton...

Am I breakin' balls here or what?

; = )

• Downtown Train   11 years 27 weeks ago

That video is just amazing. It boggles my mind that artists hear this song and think: I should take a stab at this song. I guess Rod Stewart made money doing it so what do I know...

Rickie Lee's debut album is an interesting listen, she's never resonated with me like Tom though.

• Downtown Train   11 years 27 weeks ago

Love the old man...love the black and white film...and Tom prowling, kinda creepin' like a snake, just tremendous.

Ain't nothin' like his "Emotional Weather Report." I was too young to fully appreciate his stuff when he first appeared on the scene, but when I look at his stuff now I realize what power he brought with him.

And one can't forget his female counterpart, Rickie Lee Jones:

• Sequestered In Memphis   11 years 27 weeks ago

I like your attitude.

• Sequestered In Memphis   11 years 27 weeks ago

Yes, but from what I've been reading "Stay Positive" has been getting much less praise than previous albums and I have liked what I've caught off of that one best. I'm always at odds with the "critics!"