News

Added a ShareThis button for all you dying to share the awesomeness.

If you're looking for an awesome song you haven't heard before you are in the right place. This site represents a playlist systematically designed to maximize AWESOMENESS by meeting the following critera:

• It's AWESOME.
  • It's fairly obscure. This is obviously a subjective standard, but I don't want songs that everyone's heard no matter how awesome.
  • You can listen to it right now online for free.

Recent comments

• Sequestered In Memphis   11 years 27 weeks ago

Cusack...you're welcome!

Love it when he sings, "I went there on business!"

As it regards "less critically praised stuff", this band is gettin' tons of praise from reviewers as well as listeners. This is an exception for your "lot in life".

Kudos to you for adding them to the list.

• Callin' Baton Rouge   11 years 28 weeks ago

"Simma down now!"

• Callin' Baton Rouge   11 years 28 weeks ago

You are forgiven for this, Sire.

• For America   11 years 29 weeks ago

Stevie Van Zandt is super cool -- here he is doing that song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMKqJu8VPSY

And of course...returning to the possible misappropriation department, here's Michelle Branch singing it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgT-y02rO8A

I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt since she claims "Jackson Browne taught it to her."

• For America   11 years 29 weeks ago

try this one on for size:

• She's Already Made Up Her Mind   11 years 29 weeks ago

Like so many other things, it's best when Texans do it!

• The Ghost In You   11 years 29 weeks ago

The only problem with the Psychedelic Furs is they are one of those bands that "disowns" part of their repertoire. They're usually "too good" to play songs like "Heartbreak Beat" now. Which totally craps on people like me who loves the songs they "disown."

• She's The One   11 years 29 weeks ago

I always say:

I love recordings, I love live shows, but I've never really gotten hot and bothered by a recording of a live show. Usually when it comes to albums I want tight arrangements and great mixes. You can never really capture how awesome it is to be at a live show, so it's rarely worth trying.

• Love Is A Stranger   11 years 29 weeks ago

Had she been willing to accentuate her hotness, would she have made more money?

• Love Is A Stranger   11 years 29 weeks ago

This broad can sing ANYTHING. Voice of an angel...with balls. I dig that.

• She's The One   11 years 29 weeks ago

All points well taken. However, this tune is TREMENDOUS live because of dat Bo Diddley thang goin on...lots of rock and roll chestnuts used in the live shows to make a great medley.

Springsteen is one of a handful of "verteran" songsmiths who actually still do something worthwhile!!!!

• I Wanna Be With You   11 years 29 weeks ago

I think you've summed it up right there. Enough said.

• On My Own   11 years 29 weeks ago

Pal, it's pretty much the same all over only no alimony. Just open up The Ledger Book of Life and divide the crap up.

• She's Already Made Up Her Mind   11 years 29 weeks ago

How about "literate" rock? That term covers all geographical areas.

• The Ghost In You   11 years 29 weeks ago

"The Ghost in You" a signature tune by this tremendous 80's band, and I think they've re-united recently. They released a LIVE cd/dvd, too. Richard Butler has such a distinctive voice.

Saw them once at Roseland in NYC. They killed. And when they ripped into "Imitation of Christ", Butler had his arms spread wide open like he was nailed to a cross...a powerful memory.

• This Woman's Work   11 years 29 weeks ago

"This Woman's Work"...used in a very poignant way, without being too sappy, in that 80's flick with Kevin Bacon and Elizabeth McGovern called "She's Having A Baby." Alec Baldwin is in it, too, and I try to see ANYTHING with Mr. B in it!

• Empty Handed Heart   11 years 29 weeks ago

Those Trekkies get me everytime...

And Zevon, well, he's everything.

• Both Hands   11 years 29 weeks ago

One of the many cool things about Bruce is his willingness to appear on so many people's albums. I've been waiting for someone to put up the video to Joe Ely's "All Just To Get To You." If anyone has video of that and uploads it to Youtube I will be ecstatic. I've been looking for that almost as long as I've been looking for "Both Hands."

• Both Hands   11 years 29 weeks ago

Tremendous images of NYC with a beautiful tune:

• Both Hands   11 years 29 weeks ago

From the Stones last collection, some airplay in the NY area...great tune, the Glimmer Twins don't change...why fix if it ain't broke?

• Lorelei   11 years 30 weeks ago

Don't let it happen again. But you're still implying that "Misty Morning, Albert Bridge," "Down All The Days" and "Gridlock" aren't brilliant...

• Lorelei   11 years 30 weeks ago

Here a tower shining bright
    Once stood gleaming in the night
    Where now there's just the rubble
    In the hole here the paddies and the frogs
    Came to gamble on the dogs
    Came to gamble on the dogs not long ago

Oh the torn up ticket stubs
    From a hundred thousand mugs
    Now washed away with dead dreams in the rain
    And the car-parks going up
    And they're pulling down the pubs
    And its just another bloody rainy day

Oh sweet city of my dreams
    Of speed and skill and schemes
    Like atlantis you just disappeared from view
    And the hare upon the wire
    Has been burnt upon your pyre
    Like the black dog that once raced
    Out from trap two

:o) White City is brilliant... an oversight! :o)

• Lorelei   11 years 30 weeks ago

"White City" isn't on your brilliant list?!??

• Lorelei   11 years 30 weeks ago

I personally think the most inferior album of all is Waiting for Herb as I think may be the general feeling of some 'Shane' fans. Having said that, it did highlight the song-writing talent of other band members.
    Young Ned of the Hill and Night Train to Lorca are brilliant from Peace and Love.
    Lorelei is certainly a moving tale of lost love. Phil Chevron is an amazing man!